Forces Reunited

HOME    
FORCES WAR RECORDS
FORCES DISCOUNTS
 FORCES SHOP 

Community
  >> Search >> Home

You are not logged in. Click here to login or click here to register.

Turn off these pesky adverts! - What is this?

Forces Reunited - Food from the 50s
www.forcesreunited.org.uk >> General >> General >> Food from the 50s
Forces Reunited Forums
>> Post New Topic
<< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next >>
AuthorTopic
Arthur(Roly) Rowsell
"Roly01"

Membership Level: Full

Quoting: Steve  Greenwood
Two or three things I used to really enjoy  were tinned sliced peaches with evaporated milk for Sunday pudding, ’Conny Onny’ as a snack when coming home from school and a Naval delicacy called Hammy, Eggy,  Cheesey. This is a very simple snack for lunch which consisted of toast with a layer of cheese then a layer of ham topped by a fried egg. Try it!!,  

Hammy eggy cheesy is alway a favourite of mine as well.

Consult the veteran, not the incompetent Politicians.
05/05/2012 10:50:17
                                                   >> Edit This Post >> Quote This Post
Terry Carey
"Empiricist"

Food from the 50s

Seems as if Mike is out on his own here.  He likes, for starters, soggy cabbage as well as everything that everyone else hates.  Cast iron stomach Mike?

Dried eggs and bananas were still around in the fifties as were dried peaches and apples.  The eggs, classed as - re-constituted as I recall - were fine by me but the bananas were vile and they are my favourite fruit.  The peaches and apple slices had to be soaked in water for ages before serving and were best in pies.

I had left school before the fifties but by then my stomach had become accustomed to eating just about anything.  Except cheese which I still hate apart from in pizzas where you can’t really taste it.

Corned beef and Spam were tasty, if unhealthy, additions to the menu but I used to be asked to go to a local butchers for a jar of potted meat on some occasions.  Truly awful but my Mother used to enjoy it.

Owen - what the hell is a boiley?

TC.

Aut cursu, aut cominus armis
05/05/2012 18:57:43
John (scouse) Hirons
"The Dingbat"

Quoting: Steve  Greenwood
Two or three things I used to really enjoy  were tinned sliced peaches with evaporated milk for Sunday pudding, ’Conny Onny’ as a snack when coming home from school and a Naval delicacy called Hammy, Eggy,  Cheesey. This is a very simple snack for lunch which consisted of toast with a layer of cheese then a layer of ham topped by a fried egg. Try it!!,  

Alright Steve, Talking of compo (which we weren’t) I used to love the corned dog (corned beef to the uninitiated) I never got to taste the ’sweeties’ as my kids loved them & just to prove my Mrs has no taste she used to nick my Compo cheese & actually loved hard tack. You could always tell were we had played silly soldiers there was mounds of liver & bacon lobbed as far as we could chuck them, I’ll swear they were designed by the SS for the British armed forces.

A situation may be desperate but never serious
05/05/2012 19:16:31
Owen Hunter
Add Forum Tag

Quoting: Terry Carey

Owen - what the hell is a bailey?

TC.

Boiled milk and bread, Terry...... I had the diluted version though, half milk half boiled water and a sprinkle of sugar.

Morality is doing what’s right regardless of what you’re told. Obedience is doing what you’re told regardless of what’s right....What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right.
05/05/2012 19:40:48
Owen Hunter
Add Forum Tag

Boiley, not bailey.  

edit: How does boiley change to bailey when quoted?...... weird.

Last edited by Owen Hunter

Morality is doing what’s right regardless of what you’re told. Obedience is doing what you’re told regardless of what’s right....What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right.
05/05/2012 19:43:18
<< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next >>
>> Reply To This Post
Moderated By: Murray Whyte, Edward Bishop,Bob Draper
Users Here:
REGISTER
LOGIN
FIND FRIENDS
MILITARY NEWS
CAMPAIGNS
REUNIONS
GALLERY
FORUMS
CHAT ROOM
REMEMBRANCE
HONOUR ROLL
TESTIMONIALS
MEMORIES
COMPETITIONS
ADVERTISE
MEDIA CENTRE
WHO'S ONLINE?
AFFILIATES
FAQ/CONTACT US
ABOUT US
BLOG
BOOKMARK US
HOME
Recommend this page to a friend.
Your Name:
Friends Name:
Friends Email:

This site uses cookies. For information on this, please see our privacy policy

About Contact Us Advertise Military Records New Members Terms Military Genealogy Sitemap