Forces Reunited

HOME    
FORCES WAR RECORDS
FORCES DISCOUNTS
 FORCES SHOP 

Community
  >> Search >> Home

You are not logged in. Click here to login or click here to register.

Turn off these pesky adverts! - What is this?

Forces Reunited - smoking
www.forcesreunited.org.uk >> General >> Hot Topic >> smoking
Forces Reunited Forums
>> Post New Topic
<< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next >>
AuthorTopic
John (scouse) Hirons
"The Dingbat"

Membership Level: Full

Quoting: Colin Hall

Surely Scouse you are using exactly the same argument as the scientists, but in a non-scientific way?

You are a heavy smoker, so youíre never going to accept proof that it will do you harm, no matter who proves it, and there are screeds of research available from much more recent research than "the early 60s" in your quote.

The facts arenít invented, they just donít fit your opinion! If you look more closely at how passive smoking occurs,and what is meant by that description, I guarantee none of the research has been in the circumstance you have suggested.

There is a prevailing wind, for sure, and itís coming from just north of Liverpool!  

Alright Colin, I would still like to know how a gas can, as is now being claimed by the alleged scientists, defy the laws of physics & why so called passive can smokers get all the contents of ciggie smoke & yet don’t form the habit themselves.

As a point of interest there has been no major scientific investigation on the damage done by smoking since the tests in the early 60’s & passive smoking was invented in ,of all places, California & we all know how ’down to earth’ they are.

At one time I went along with the nebulous passive smoke propaganda until they started insulting our intelligence with invented scaremongering claims, they then made me look closer & doubt their claims.

A situation may be desperate but never serious
08/04/2012 16:54:27
                                                   >> Edit This Post >> Quote This Post
John (scouse) Hirons
"The Dingbat"

Quoting: Don Knight
Quoting †John (scouse) Hirons

†In my area of north Liverpool we have a grain terminal, a coal terminal, a metal shredder & two main arterial roads feeding the docks. My area also has the highest incidence of chest & heart disease in the North West which in turn has the highest incidence of chest & heart disease in England. I wonder what could cause that? it must be all the passive, but invisible, smoke coming across the Irish sea against the prevailing wind. †

† † † † † † † † † † † † † ................................

I feel that the above situation would be an excellent motive for people to up-sticks and emigrate to healthier climes, if only to avoid the mysterious invisible smoke that is enveloping the northern parts of Liverpool, which, if as stated, must arrive against the prevailing wind, from the land of the Leprechauns and tatti (as in spud) mashers.

There may be a good case for "Lawyers are Us" to start a compensation gold rush.

Just an opinion, simple as it may be.

Regards Simon. † †  

Alright Don, It’s either them Mick smokers wafting their invisible ciggie gases over here or it could be a thing which obviously doesn’t exist (according to the men in white coats) industrial pollution, nah it couldn’t be that it’s the ciggies.

A situation may be desperate but never serious
08/04/2012 17:25:29
Don Knight
"Quis custodiet Ipos Custodes"

My opinion for what it’s worth, if any-one’s respiratory system is weak or failing, inhalation of any contaminated air can be harmful, how damaging depends on the severity of the damage to the system.

Some people smoke all their lives, and have no adverse effects from the habit, but they die from some other cause.

Others never smoke, but they die from respiratory related diseases, caused by, or not, from passive smoke inhalation, or other obnoxious gasses.

My objection to smoking is the smell, but as an ex-smoker (28years ago) I think that we (ex-smokers) react to it more than most.

I’m pleased smoking has been banned in enclosed spaces, but I have no objection to people smoking, anywhere other than where they could cause offence.
They have been made aware of possible effects and the probable illnesses they could get, so they knowingly make a choice, their problem.
As for smokers children, it is the parents choice to gamble with their children’s welfare or not.

In any case the tax revenue generated by tobacco is a welcome source of income for the government of the day. If it is not raised by this method, other ways would have to be found, so it eases my tax burden.

Life is a lottery, some win, some lose.  

Never say a humorous thing to a man who does not possess humour. He will always use it in evidence against you.
08/04/2012 17:35:48
Don Knight

Quoting John (scouse) Hirons

Alright Don, Itís either them Mick smokers wafting their invisible ciggie gases over here or it could be a thing which obviously doesnít exist (according to the men in white coats) industrial pollution, nah it couldnít be that itís the ciggies.

Gotta agree scouse, industrial pollution as much as anything else, nothing has been caste in stone.

Never say a humorous thing to a man who does not possess humour. He will always use it in evidence against you.
08/04/2012 17:41:32
Don Knight

How do cigarettes damage health?
Term watch
ĎCardiovascularí means the heart and circulation.
Cardiovascular disease causes:
poor circulation
angina (chest pains)
heart attacks
stroke.
Cigarettes contain more than 4000 chemical compounds and at least 400 toxic substances.
When you inhale, a cigarette burns at 700įC at the tip and around 60įC in the core. This heat breaks down the tobacco to produce various toxins.
As a cigarette burns, the residues are concentrated towards the butt.
The products that are most damaging are:
tar, a carcinogen (substance that causes cancer)
nicotine is addictive and increases cholesterol levels in your body
carbon monoxide reduces oxygen in the body
components of the gas and particulate phases cause chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD).
The damage caused by smoking is influenced by:
the number of cigarettes smoked
whether the cigarette has a filter
how the tobacco has been prepared.

08/04/2012 19:21:09
<< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next >>
>> Reply To This Post
Moderated By: Murray Whyte, Edward Bishop,Bob Draper
Users Here:
REGISTER
LOGIN
FIND FRIENDS
MILITARY NEWS
CAMPAIGNS
REUNIONS
GALLERY
FORUMS
CHAT ROOM
REMEMBRANCE
HONOUR ROLL
TESTIMONIALS
MEMORIES
COMPETITIONS
ADVERTISE
MEDIA CENTRE
WHO'S ONLINE?
AFFILIATES
FAQ/CONTACT US
ABOUT US
BLOG
BOOKMARK US
HOME
Recommend this page to a friend.
Your Name:
Friends Name:
Friends Email:

This site uses cookies. For information on this, please see our privacy policy

About Contact Us Advertise Military Records New Members Terms Military Genealogy Sitemap