Forces Reunited

HOME    
FORCES WAR RECORDS
FORCES DISCOUNTS
 FORCES SHOP 

Community
  >> Search >> Home

You are not logged in. Click here to login or click here to register.

Turn off these pesky adverts! - What is this?

Forces Reunited - Times Past
www.forcesreunited.org.uk >> General >> General >> Times Past
Forces Reunited Forums
>> Post New Topic
<< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next >>
AuthorTopic
john daly
Add Forum Tag

Membership Level: Full

Quoting: John Richards
Cod Liver Oil and Malt was supplied free by the Government to keep us little kiddiwinkies fit. I loved it but my sister hated it because it got stuck in her moustache.

Another exciting event was gas-mask drill where we had to put them on while the teacher checked them. With a little practice we boys could make great ’farting’ noises by loosening the edge and breathing heavily.

The baby next door had his own respirator that was secured around his waist and made him look like Humpty Dumpty.

I loved School sing song on Thurs. afternoon in the science room where the whole school gathered and we,  who sat at the back on the tables could turn on the gas taps, which eventually put most of the Junior children ( sat on the floor) to Sleep.
23/02/2012 12:31:34
                                                   >> Edit This Post >> Quote This Post
raymond hall
"happy bowler"

yber family 174  times pastc

almost forgot, we had to bring our own lunch to school which we ate with our free 1/2 pint of milk,I always had bread and jam sardies; or if I was lucky some chocolate spread  had to make our own, mum and dad went to work at 0630,if you didnt bring any lunch for 3 days they would report it to child care and someone would come and ask embarrasing questions if they wernt  happy with the answers you got free school dinners but none of the other school kids new,saved your parents embarrassment,always got spotted dick, or semolina [frogs spawn for desert[yuk]good old days never forget them or how many times I got the cane,[sadistic buggers some of them teachers!
23/02/2012 12:52:35
john daly
Add Forum Tag

Quoting: raymond hall
dear john,I too had my regular ration of MALT also cod liver  oil,loved the malt,hated the cod liver oil, we also  had visits from NITTY NORA I recon that the whole school  had to have them horrible baths about twice in one year!  

Ray. We also had a Nit Nurse who arrived each year. She was a fat ugly women who used to sqat on a chair whilst we filed up to her. She would examine your head for lice then pull your short  trousers at the front, have a look down and then blow once. I never did find out what that ceremony was for.
I think i have mentioned this ritual before on F.Reu. but those things do tend to stick in your mind.
23/02/2012 12:56:22
Terry Carey
"Empiricist"

Times past

Quoting: john daly

.. She would examine your head for lice then pull your short  trousers at the front, have a look down and then blow once. I never did find out what that ceremony was for.
I think i have mentioned this ritual before on F.Reu. but those things do tend to stick in your mind.

What!!!!   B.J’s at that age!!!!  Lucky sod!!!!

TC.

Aut cursu, aut cominus armis
23/02/2012 14:39:41
Colin Hall
Add Forum Tag

Membership Level: Basic
You see lots of advertising today on the benefits of Omega 3 from fish oil sold in capsule form, and in those health shops. I know lots of people who take them religiously in the belief that it is the new wonder of the world.

We were way ahead of them, because we were given our daily dose of cod liver oil whether we wanted it or not , and I’ve never met anyone who did!

I have read somewhere that, nationally, the general health of people under rationing was better than it is today, because there was nothing available that was bad for you!

Except that bloody cod liver oil...

As for walking to school, all of our three kids did so, and so do our grand-kids today.

I did it, summer and winter, through sleet and snow and dark, and we never gave a thought to it.
23/02/2012 15:59:25
<< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next >>
>> Reply To This Post
Moderated By: Murray Whyte, Edward Bishop,Bob Draper
Users Here: Rev. Roger Perry
REGISTER
LOGIN
FIND FRIENDS
MILITARY NEWS
CAMPAIGNS
REUNIONS
GALLERY
FORUMS
CHAT ROOM
REMEMBRANCE
HONOUR ROLL
TESTIMONIALS
MEMORIES
COMPETITIONS
ADVERTISE
MEDIA CENTRE
WHO'S ONLINE?
AFFILIATES
FAQ/CONTACT US
ABOUT US
BLOG
BOOKMARK US
HOME
Recommend this page to a friend.
Your Name:
Friends Name:
Friends Email:

This site uses cookies. For information on this, please see our privacy policy

About Contact Us Advertise Military Records New Members Terms Military Genealogy Sitemap