Forces Reunited

HOME    
FORCES WAR RECORDS
FORCES DISCOUNTS
 FORCES SHOP 

Community
  >> Search >> Home

You are not logged in. Click here to login or click here to register.

Turn off these pesky adverts! - What is this?

Forces Reunited - Re-Birth, Rats and Sinking Ships.
www.forcesreunited.org.uk >> General >> Hot Topic >> Re-Birth, Rats and Sinking Ships.
Forces Reunited Forums
>> Post New Topic
[1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next >>
AuthorTopic
Don Knight
"Quis custodiet Ipos Custodes"

Membership Level: Full
Re-Birth, Rats and Sinking Ships.

A subject that has been put on the back-burner in the news media, due to more pressing issues. I came across this item on Politics UK website.

||||||||

A former News of the World journalist has offered a jaw-dropping defence of phone-hacking, in the most dramatic and shocking moment of the Leveson inquiry so far.

Former News of the World features editor Paul McMullan sparked outrage during his witness session by offering a resolutely unapologetic account of media ethics.

"In 21 years of invading peoples’ privacy I’ve never actually come across anyone who’s been doing any good," he said.

"Privacy is the space bad people need to do bad things in.

"Privacy is for paedos. Privacy is evil, it brings out the worst qualities in people."

He added: "The hacking of Milly Dowler’s phone was not a bad thing for a journalist to do."

In a relentless series of outrageous statements, Mr McMullan even joked that he was "proud" of writing an article which resulted in a paediatrician being beaten up "because of the ’padeo’ thing".

Significantly, he also said the police had "clearly" covered-up phone-hacking in their original investigation.

He then issued an attack on Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson, his former bosses at the News of the World.

"Fundamentally the little men, the reporters, were screwed big time by the bosses," he said.

"Sometimes I wouldn’t have bought the News of the World even though I was working for it, but the British public carried on."

Later, he admitted spending £15,000 to £20,000 a year on expenses, just £3,000 of which was legitimate.

Mr McMullan insisted the media landscape had already changed following the death of Princess Diana and that the Press Complaints Commission (PCC) now had a bearing on newspaper behaviour.

"The glory days of the 90s, when it was so much fun, before Diana died, have gone. People do take notice of the PCC," he said.

The truth, or versions of it are slowly emerging, my curiosity is, if any-one will eventually be charged, or shall we have the normal whitewash,

small fish fry, but the big one’s get away.

Never say a humorous thing to a man who does not possess humour. He will always use it in evidence against you.
30/11/2011 12:32:17
                                                   >> Edit This Post >> Quote This Post
Colin Hall
Add Forum Tag

Membership Level: Basic
Well, Don, I too a bit surprised the Inquiry hasn’t been a topic on these threads!

There’s been some delicious irony though, when you get someone like Alistair Campbell giving evidence to the fact that the Press Complaints Commission is "owned by the news media". He worked the press like he owned it!

He also confirmed what I’ve always thought about British media which is that they will invent half of what they publish and will always publish bad news over good news because good news doesn’t sell!

He [Campbell] still can’t conceal his arrogance though, stating at one stage "when we the government" meaning his non elected role as spin doctor to Tony Blair.
30/11/2011 12:52:48
Syd Jones
Add Forum Tag

Quoting: Colin Hall
Well, Don, I too a bit surprised the Inquiry hasnít been a topic on these threads!

Thereís been some delicious irony though, when you get someone like Alistair Campbell giving evidence to the fact that the Press Complaints Commission is "owned by the news media". He worked the press like he owned it!

He also confirmed what Iíve always thought about British media which is that they will invent half of what they publish and will always publish bad news over good news because good news doesnít sell!

He [Campbell] still canít conceal his arrogance though, stating at one stage "when we the government" meaning his non elected role as spin doctor to Tony Blair.

Wasn’t the description (epithet?) actually coined to describe Alistair Campbell’s job? Can’t recall the term being in use before ’97.
Cheers, Syd.
01/12/2011 17:42:50
John (scouse) Hirons
"The Dingbat"

Quoting: Colin Hall
Well, Don, I too a bit surprised the Inquiry hasnít been a topic on these threads!

Thereís been some delicious irony though, when you get someone like Alistair Campbell giving evidence to the fact that the Press Complaints Commission is "owned by the news media". He worked the press like he owned it!

He also confirmed what Iíve always thought about British media which is that they will invent half of what they publish and will always publish bad news over good news because good news doesnít sell!

He [Campbell] still canít conceal his arrogance though, stating at one stage "when we the government" meaning his non elected role as spin doctor to Tony Blair.

Alright Colin, At least Campbell unlike Camerons bezzy mate & ex-spin doctor Andy Coulson didn’t have people hack into murdered childrens phone’s or is that alright with the right wing? it may be okay in NZ but it’s not here.

A situation may be desperate but never serious
01/12/2011 18:25:43
Terry Carey
"Empiricist"

Re-Birth, Rats and Sinking Ships

[QUOTE]Quoting: John (scouse) Hirons
[I]

Alright Colin, At least Campbell unlike Camerons bezzy mate & ex-spin doctor Andy Coulson didnít have people hack into murdered childrens phoneís

Without wishing to start an argument Scouse you cannot be sure that Campbell didn’t have phone hacking done at his behest unless he told you so personally.  

I, for one, would not believe him if he did tell me that.

TC.

Aut cursu, aut cominus armis
02/12/2011 15:58:06
[1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next >>
>> Reply To This Post
Moderated By: Murray Whyte, Edward Bishop,Bob Draper
Users Here: vicky codling nee bassett
REGISTER
LOGIN
FIND FRIENDS
MILITARY NEWS
CAMPAIGNS
REUNIONS
GALLERY
FORUMS
CHAT ROOM
REMEMBRANCE
HONOUR ROLL
TESTIMONIALS
MEMORIES
COMPETITIONS
ADVERTISE
MEDIA CENTRE
WHO'S ONLINE?
AFFILIATES
FAQ/CONTACT US
ABOUT US
BLOG
BOOKMARK US
HOME
Recommend this page to a friend.
Your Name:
Friends Name:
Friends Email:

This site uses cookies. For information on this, please see our privacy policy

About Contact Us Advertise Military Records New Members Terms Military Genealogy Sitemap