Forces Reunited

HOME    
FORCES WAR RECORDS
FORCES DISCOUNTS
 FORCES SHOP 

Community
  >> Search >> Home

You are not logged in. Click here to login or click here to register.

Turn off these pesky adverts! - What is this?

Forces Reunited - Should religion be compulsorily taught in schools?
www.forcesreunited.org.uk >> General >> Hot Topic >> Should religion be compulsorily taught in schools?
Forces Reunited Forums
>> Post New Topic
<< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Next >>
AuthorTopic
Mike Pass
"Stercus accidit"

Membership Level: Full

Start a Video/Text Chat with me now!
Hhmmm!!!!

Quoting: Owen Hunter
You don’t seem to be getting my point Mike !!!

Atheist/ Christian....Tory/Labour...it seems that some posters can get away with their views and forcing their opinions onto us......whilst others can’t.

There is not a point to get, Owen. I have already said that I agree with your view that we should not be having both religion and politics shoved down our throats. Should I change the words around, or what!

I did expect a backlash from those who preferred to forget Jean’s attitude in the past and for that reason, I am not surprised. Neither do I have a problem with it.
Just remember my first post in this resurrection of the thread in the times to come. If there has been a sea change in Jean’s postings, then there is not going to be a problem.....is there?
Can’t make it much easier to understand than that.

Damnant quod non intellegunt.
15/12/2011 16:03:06
                                                   >> Edit This Post >> Quote This Post
Don Knight
"Quis custodiet Ipos Custodes"

The originator asked the question,
"Should religion be compulsory taught in schools."
There is a division in the responses, From Atheists, (of which I am one) one response, and from those of a Christian belief, another.
Every-one has a view, my view is that it should be taught, and here is my reason.
If children have no concept what religion is, other than other unknowledgeable peoples often misguided thoughts and attitudes, how can they (the children) come to an educated and knowledgeable decision as whether to accept the teachings of the scriptures, or arrive at the conclusion that it is myth, only when people have knowledge of a subject can they decide on its merits.
Today, modern youngsters have very little knowledge on Christianity, and they get almost no guidance (if any) from parents.

Regards the latter sections of this thread I have no prior knowledge, so am neutral.  

Never say a humorous thing to a man who does not possess humour. He will always use it in evidence against you.
15/12/2011 16:47:39
Owen Hunter
Add Forum Tag

Membership Level: Basic

Quoting: Mike Pass
Yes, Jean, we remember who you are and what you are and I will give you one warning only.
Start the Evangelistic crap again and I shall report every post in which you include it.
If you want to preach to the uninterested congregation yet again, open a thread purely for that purpose and you will have my guarantee that I will go nowhere near it.
The feeling regarding your posting manner before, has not changed here.

For the benefit of new/ish members....the above may seem very unfair and unwarranted given that Jean has not posted here for over a year. Do a little research before condemning my words. Trust me, I do know what I am talking about!

Will you be giving only one warning and report any political crap too....or does that not count ?

You know what I mean ’arry. !!!

Morality is doing what’s right regardless of what you’re told. Obedience is doing what you’re told regardless of what’s right....What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right.
15/12/2011 16:51:32
John (scouse) Hirons
"The Dingbat"

Quoting: Don Knight
The originator asked the question,
"Should religion be compulsory taught in schools."
There is a division in the responses, From Atheists, (of which I am one) one response, and from those of a Christian belief, another.
Every-one has a view, my view is that it should be taught, and here is my reason.
If children have no concept what religion is, other than other unknowledgeable peoples often misguided thoughts and attitudes, how can they (the children) come to an educated and knowledgeable decision as whether to accept the teachings of the scriptures, or arrive at the conclusion that it is myth, only when people have knowledge of a subject can they decide on its merits.
Today, modern youngsters have very little knowledge on Christianity, and they get almost no guidance (if any) from parents.

Regards the latter sections of this thread I have no prior knowledge, so am neutral.    

Alright Don, You’re not going to believe this...but...I agree with you. Now-a-days you find a lot of self proclaimed atheists who have no idea of what it is they don’t believe. As I said earlier on in the thread I think RE should be taught in school & as C of E is the state religion that is the one that should be taught in all state run schools, sorry Rev Rog.

A situation may be desperate but never serious
15/12/2011 17:17:43
Murray Whyte
Add Forum Tag

Just to resurrect a post I made on Page 3 (not the Sun).

My children’s schools (primary and secondary) do not teach Religious Instruction.

The Primary teaches a general overview of the mainstream religions.

The secondary school teaches RMPS (Religious Moral and Philosophical Studies)

From the schools website:

‘The Unexamined Life is not Worth Living’ (Socrates 469 – 399BC)

Here in High School we agree with what Socrates said all these years ago. In RMPS we focus on questions of meaning, value and purpose in life. RMPS is concerned with examining the responses humankind has made to these difficult questions. We look to the major religions, belief systems and famous thinkers, religious and non-religious, for inspiration. Our aim is to develop an awareness of the ways in which beliefs and values are central to the fabric of Scottish society. From this focus we try to help our students sort out their own beliefs, values and priorities.

The RMPS department is working hard to produce informed, articulate, open-minded and tolerant students who are able to empathise with those who are different from themselves and who are also able to reflect upon their own experience of life.

All students attend classes in this subject for one period per week in S1-S4

Students in Middle School and Senior School have the opportunity to study RMPS and/or Philosophy at Higher or Intermediate1/ 2 level.  

In addition, as part of the Learning Toolkit, S1 students attend an eight- week block in Philosophy for Children (P4C).

In our lessons we try to make our learning and teaching vibrant yet grounded in our students’ own life experience. To this end

·         students are asked to speak about their views and values and be willing to discuss them openly.

·         we invite as many visitors and speakers as possible to the department so that students have the opportunity to learn first hand from members of our community and beyond.

·         ICT is used as appropriate so that students can gain knowledge and understanding from a multiplicity of sources.

·         Art and Drama are employed to help students explore new ideas/concepts

We see our students’ experience in the classroom as ‘learning for life’. We hope that the skills of asking questions and reflective/critical thinking will become a habit that will remain with them long after they have left school.

The courses are based on the core values below and in line with Curriculum for Excellence

JUSTICE   WISDOM    COMPASSION   INTEGRITY

Therefore, the statement,

"Today, modern youngsters have very little knowledge on Christianity, and they get almost no guidance (if any) from parents."

is not entirely accurate.

Have a look at your local schools website and see what is taught.

My family were very staunch christians and attended services weekly until August 1978.

This is when my brother died age 28.  At the time he was studying to become a priest.  I asked the question of many a man of the cloth, ’why take someone that was studying to preach the word of god?’  To date I have had no reasonably answer.

I still have my brother’s King James bible which is leather bound with gold gilt pages.  I answer any questions my kids ask which will hopefull enable to make an informed choice of their own.

I shall get of the pulpit now.
15/12/2011 19:11:43
<< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Next >>
>> Reply To This Post
Moderated By: Murray Whyte, Edward Bishop,Bob Draper
Users Here: Mike Pass
REGISTER
LOGIN
FIND FRIENDS
MILITARY NEWS
CAMPAIGNS
REUNIONS
GALLERY
FORUMS
CHAT ROOM
REMEMBRANCE
HONOUR ROLL
TESTIMONIALS
MEMORIES
COMPETITIONS
ADVERTISE
MEDIA CENTRE
WHO'S ONLINE?
AFFILIATES
FAQ/CONTACT US
ABOUT US
BLOG
BOOKMARK US
HOME
Recommend this page to a friend.
Your Name:
Friends Name:
Friends Email:

This site uses cookies. For information on this, please see our privacy policy

About Contact Us Advertise Military Records New Members Terms Military Genealogy Sitemap