Forces Reunited

HOME    
FORCES WAR RECORDS
FORCES DISCOUNTS
 FORCES SHOP 

Community
  >> Search >> Home

You are not logged in. Click here to login or click here to register.

Turn off these pesky adverts! - What is this?

Forces Reunited - Calling ZXCVM,.#
www.forcesreunited.org.uk >> Help Forum >> Computer Help and Answers >> Calling ZXCVM,.#
Forces Reunited Forums
>> Post New Topic
[1] 2 Next >>
AuthorTopic
Carl Graffham
"Veni, vermini, vomui"

Membership Level: Full
Calling ZXCVM,.#

Ok lads and lasses.  I got me a problem which shuah has me beaten!

OS is Windows Vista.
Basic programmes and is used mainly by one person surfing ebay and face book.  (I am not a user of either of those!)

She came to me because she could not log into her ebay account.

I found....

Pressing the right shift key while in WordPad prints ZXCVM,.#
Pressing the left shift key while in WordPad prints ty][TY][
Pressing the Alt key while in Wordpad prints GH’
Alt Gr prints BN/
Ctrl Right key gives ZXCVM,.#
Ctrl Left key gives ’56=

In Ebay login only (as far as I can test) typing in the first half of a 13 letter password results in the browser address bar being cleared and the login in window showing "invalid user name or password entered"

Login to AOL Email using the same user name and password gives no problem and login is successful.

In AOL Email, using the shift keys results in upper case letters as it should, no sign of those weird character combinations.

The Computer is used only by one person (so she says) and is a fairly new desktop.

I believe the make is Acer.

Wireless mouse and keyboard.
Keyboard is set to English (UK) as is the "Regional and Language" setting.

I think this is a good one.......

Bob, Murray et al.....

Any ideas please!

Carl

More infor can be got if you tell me what you would like to know about the PC and what is on it.

Last edited by Carl Graffham

I fear the geek, even though he comes bearing gifs.
08/12/2008 15:01:37
                                                   >> Edit This Post >> Quote This Post
Murray Whyte
Add Forum Tag

Hi Carl,

I read about a problem such as this with an XO Keyboard.  It was all about stuck keys.

This is a manufacturers fault; it is usually a problem of ineffective insulation between the two conductive membranes.

The lady may have to invoke her warranty.

Another thought is Hotkeys.  Go into Word and select Tools then Customize then at the bottom of the box click Keyboard.  This will show you if any Hotkeys have been allocated.
08/12/2008 15:57:25
Bob Draper
"Bob (tuffy ) Draper"
Expert

Hi Carl, Could be faulty keyboard as Murray says, I once spilt some coca cola on a keyboard and got similar problems. Have you tried another keyboard?? It also seems odd that you can logon  to one and not ebay, 13 letters seems a lot for a password, it could be wrong,
have you tried clicking on where I have arrowed in the attachment when on ebay???

View Attachment View Attachment

Last edited by Bob Draper

Regards Bob..... my desktop pc now win8.1 / my laptop o/s win7 / wifes laptop win 8.1
08/12/2008 16:30:08
Carl Graffham
"Veni, vermini, vomui"

Ah........HEM!

Great input gentlemen, and very fast response, thank you both very much.

The young lady concerned (my next door neighbour), with typical female attitude, became impatient for an answer something like 6 minutes after I posted this,

You’ve guessed it!!!!

She went out and bought a £4.50 PS2 keyboard from Argos, then rang my doorbell because she didn’t know where to plug it in.

*&%$$##%!!

So in I went, and found that the pins were bent, so it wouldn’t go in, soooooooo....

I whipped back to my house, picked up an ancient PS2 I have laying around for emergencies, and plugged it in.

It works!!

No problems at all, so it must have been her keyboard gorn wrong all of a sudden like.

All I can say is thank you both for your prompt replies, which, of course was your suggested solution, and can add only

BLIDDY WOMEN!!!

Carl

I fear the geek, even though he comes bearing gifs.
08/12/2008 17:04:44
Bob Draper
"Bob (tuffy ) Draper"
Expert

Carl,
Glad it is solved, I bet she spilt liquid on it the same as I did  

Last edited by Bob Draper

Regards Bob..... my desktop pc now win8.1 / my laptop o/s win7 / wifes laptop win 8.1
08/12/2008 20:21:05
[1] 2 Next >>
>> Reply To This Post
Moderated By: Edward Bishop, Murray Whyte,Bob Draper
Users Here:
REGISTER
LOGIN
FIND FRIENDS
MILITARY NEWS
CAMPAIGNS
REUNIONS
GALLERY
FORUMS
CHAT ROOM
REMEMBRANCE
HONOUR ROLL
TESTIMONIALS
MEMORIES
COMPETITIONS
ADVERTISE
MEDIA CENTRE
WHO'S ONLINE?
AFFILIATES
FAQ/CONTACT US
ABOUT US
BLOG
BOOKMARK US
HOME
Recommend this page to a friend.
Your Name:
Friends Name:
Friends Email:

This site uses cookies. For information on this, please see our privacy policy

About Contact Us Advertise Military Records New Members Terms Military Genealogy Sitemap