Forces Reunited

HOME    
FORCES WAR RECORDS
FORCES DISCOUNTS
 FORCES SHOP 

Community
  >> Search >> Home

You are not logged in. Click here to login or click here to register.

Turn off these pesky adverts! - What is this?

Forces Reunited - On This Day.
www.forcesreunited.org.uk >> General >> General >> On This Day.
Forces Reunited Forums
>> Post New Topic
[1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 827 828 Next >>
AuthorTopic
Terry Carey
"Empiricist"

Membership Level: Full
On This Day.

Some years ago I entered a TV competition which was a weekly one where the Weatherman for Granada TV offered a prize for the best explanation or answer to the week’s question.  The one I sent in was the answer to ’Where does the expression "In the nick of time" come from’.

My prize for winning was The Wordsworth Book of Days.  It gives examples of such things as who was born, died, invented something, was hanged, or cites famous events etc.

Looking at the reference for today’s date I note that in 1888 Joseph (Patrick) Kennedy was born and became the founder of the Kennedy clan.

In 1666 the Great Fire of London was finally extinguished having started on the 2nd Sept of that year.

In 1987 Indian military scientists announced they had successfully devised a long-life chapati using a preservative which keeps the unleavened bread fresh for months.

In 1989 A computer error resulted in 41,000 Parisians receiving letters charging them with murder, extortion and organised prostitution instead of traffic fines!!!!!!!  (That’s made my day - I don’t know about yours.)

Look forward to more fascinating snippets as the days go by.  Especially look out on the 11th September!!!

Anyone wishing to add their own ’On This Day’ memories or whatever then please feel free.  The more the merrier.
Terry.

Last edited by Terry Carey

Aut cursu, aut cominus armis
06/09/2007 14:21:41
                                                   >> Edit This Post >> Quote This Post
John Richards
"A Happy Poster"

Terry’s Prize

I know this is a silly question, but exactly what is the origin of the expression ’in the nick of time’?

For the winner:-
a bound copy of ’Terry Carey: The early Years’.
06/09/2007 14:50:40
Mike Pass
"Stercus accidit"

Membership Level: Basic
Terry’s book of  ’stuff’

Very slight divert Terrace.
Another fascinating tome is Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. For some obscure reason I no longer have mine.
I am sure that for anyone who has or has had a copy will agree that it is indispensable!  

Damnant quod non intellegunt.
06/09/2007 18:17:38
Terry Carey
"Empiricist"

Quoting: john richards
I know this is a silly question, but exactly what is the origin of the expression ’in the nick of time’?

For the winner:-
a bound copy of ’Terry Carey: The early Years’.

It’s no good me giving the answer because I’d then have to award myself the prize and I haven’t finished writing the book yet.  I actually have started one but it’s already 200,000 words long and I’m only up to the age of four.  I had a busy childhood!!!!

The winner gets the first part of my story about my time in Khaki.  That lets MP out because he’s already read it.  

Terry.

Aut cursu, aut cominus armis
07/09/2007 13:25:54
sheila ormiston
"Cassandra"

Membership Level: Basic
T.C.  I also have a book, well it’s a diary really, of Forgotten English. Entry for today: Checquer: 7th Sept. (1726-1795). Birthday of Francois Philidor.
Briefly...chess master immigrated to England in 1740’s, where he received a pension from the London Chess Club.(Nothing new there then !!!).  Game first played in 1400’s though names and moves have changed.  (Details followed).
Chess boards were made of wood, bone or even ivory, the last being valued at three cows or six pence.  The Church once condemned the game, and many chess boards-ivory or not were burned.
Not a lot of people know that S.O.McK.

P.S. eventriqueness.....corpulence formed on Latin ventrem...belly.

Last edited by sheila ormiston
07/09/2007 14:45:23
[1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 827 828 Next >>
>> Reply To This Post
Moderated By: Murray Whyte, Edward Bishop,Bob Draper
Users Here: Arthur(Roly) Rowsell
REGISTER
LOGIN
FIND FRIENDS
MILITARY NEWS
CAMPAIGNS
REUNIONS
GALLERY
FORUMS
CHAT ROOM
REMEMBRANCE
HONOUR ROLL
TESTIMONIALS
MEMORIES
COMPETITIONS
ADVERTISE
MEDIA CENTRE
WHO'S ONLINE?
AFFILIATES
FAQ/CONTACT US
ABOUT US
BLOG
BOOKMARK US
HOME
Recommend this page to a friend.
Your Name:
Friends Name:
Friends Email:

This site uses cookies. For information on this, please see our privacy policy

About Contact Us Advertise Military Records New Members Terms Military Genealogy Sitemap