Forces Reunited

HOME    
FORCES WAR RECORDS
FORCES DISCOUNTS
 FORCES SHOP 

Community
  >> Search >> Home

You are not logged in. Click here to login or click here to register.

Turn off these pesky adverts! - What is this?

Forces Reunited - Fire Piquet
www.forcesreunited.org.uk >> General >> Questions to Members >> Fire Piquet
Forces Reunited Forums
>> Post New Topic
<< Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next >>
AuthorTopic
Colin Hall
Add Forum Tag

Membership Level: Basic

Quoting: dennis shrubshall
Colin the young lady was asking ostensibly about Fire Piquets and also referring to her Dad’s time and I merely stated my experience.  I recall many times you have explained that you were not an "irk" for long so It may not have come within your experience.  However National Servicemen did whatever was required of them and may I re-iterate on half-pay having left their career of choice to serve the country.

Last edited by dennis shrubshall

I was an airman for ten years Dennis [out of twenty five], which is a lot of experience, and most of it overseas. I do know that National Service members were often used as spare labour when assigned to other duties, even Fire Piquet, which in itself was an extra duty.

Last edited by Colin Hall
04/04/2012 23:45:50
                                                   >> Edit This Post >> Quote This Post
Mike Pass
"Stercus accidit"

Membership Level: Full
Hhhmmm!!!!

Dennis, was your choice of spelling for ’Erk’ deliberate? If so, I am having a little chuckle WITH you.

Colin and Dennis, I for one received elementary fire fighting training on most of the stations that I was posted to and in my profile you will note a fair number. At no point did I/We consider ourselves to be even within viewing distance of the skills of trained service firefighters but were more than capable of containing, extinguishing and closing off a number of levels of live fire events.

Damnant quod non intellegunt.
05/04/2012 07:40:31
john daly
Add Forum Tag

Membership Level: Full

Quoting: dennis shrubshall
Colin the young lady was asking ostensibly about Fire Piquets and also referring to her Dad’s time and I merely stated my experience.  I recall many times you have explained that you were not an "irk" for long so It may not have come within your experience.  However National Servicemen did whatever was required of them and may I re-iterate on half-pay having left their career of choice to serve the country.

Last edited by dennis shrubshall

Quite so Denis.
At the time of National Service the R.AF. naturally did not want to spend time and money training someone who would only with them for 2 years. That does not mean that they were thick although most of them were doing unskilled jobs , Back in civvy st. lots of them had  been in extremly highly skilled and highly paid positions.

Quite a lot of young men in the 50s went into the Forces for long periods who couldent make anything of them selves
even though jobs were quite plentiful.

At Bridgenorth i still remember at the Weekends when some of the Officers used to hire horses from a local stable and ride around the Camp and the envious looks as Cpl. Scammell rode around on his Own horse and in immaculate riding gear. He was the son of the Scammell "Iron Horse" empire and also a Nat. Service wallah.

Last edited by john daly
05/04/2012 12:06:46
Ronald Hargreaves
Add Forum Tag

Fire Piquet

Gentlemen

Many thanks for your replies!

Another question. If FP was in addition to one’s regular duties, would you be on call 24/7 or were there enough people involved that you were assigned to watches for the duration?

Dad writes about the flag raising and lowering and having to report for parade at 10pm If the above applies, would that have been for all the FP or just those on duty at that particular time?

Elaine Hargreaves

05/04/2012 12:37:36
dennis shrubshall
"Poet –"

Mike as an N S Radar Operator that was what we were to the regular |Serviciemen and was spelt thus.
There was no "j" in front.

Young lady the F P assembled at 18.00 hrs for inspection  by Duty Officer and lowering of the flag was carried out at that time by the Corporal R A F  Police  Your duties would end the next morning at the main gate at 08.00 hrs when once again the Duty officer would witness the raising of the flag.   You would then have breakfast and carry on your normal duties.

"Images of Life in Rhyme" is available from me and all profits go to Havens Hospice Charity. Thebook is also available on-line from fast-print.net/bookshop and all major book retailers.
05/04/2012 13:43:14
<< Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next >>
>> Reply To This Post
Moderated By: Murray Whyte, Edward Bishop,Bob Draper
Users Here:
REGISTER
LOGIN
FIND FRIENDS
MILITARY NEWS
CAMPAIGNS
REUNIONS
GALLERY
FORUMS
CHAT ROOM
REMEMBRANCE
HONOUR ROLL
TESTIMONIALS
MEMORIES
COMPETITIONS
ADVERTISE
MEDIA CENTRE
WHO'S ONLINE?
AFFILIATES
FAQ/CONTACT US
ABOUT US
BLOG
BOOKMARK US
HOME
Recommend this page to a friend.
Your Name:
Friends Name:
Friends Email:

This site uses cookies. For information on this, please see our privacy policy

About Contact Us Advertise Military Records New Members Terms Military Genealogy Sitemap