Forces Reunited

HOME    
FORCES WAR RECORDS
FORCES DISCOUNTS
 FORCES SHOP 

Community
  >> Search >> Home

You are not logged in. Click here to login or click here to register.

Turn off these pesky adverts! - What is this?

Forces Reunited - unemployment
www.forcesreunited.org.uk >> General >> Hot Topic >> unemployment
Forces Reunited Forums
>> Post New Topic
<< Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next >>
AuthorTopic
philip maurice Removed
Add Forum Tag

Membership Level: Basic

Quoting: Bill Netcher[/B]

Spot on Maurice of your words of youth unemployment.       My opinion is that when I left school in 58 and went down to the labour exchange as it was called than i was asked and I am sure a lot on here was asked the same question what do you want to do.    Which I think that is where the difference is and not to be told you will do this job.    Also when you went into the job most industries had the apprenticeship going which i think was 3 years also you always worked with a guy who was due to retire and He would pass on his skills to the young apprentice.     Also you got job satisfaction which I must admit I havent heard that word for a very long time.    Cheers

a correction imade a mistake i left school in 1948 not 58:woot: :woot: :woot:
27/02/2012 20:15:36
                                                   >> Edit This Post >> Quote This Post
philip maurice Removed
Add Forum Tag

Quoting: Murray Whyte
The left hand of ’The Government’ are going on about Youth Unemployment and asking what to do about it.  They are spending money to try and create jobs.

The right hand is increasing the retirement age and therefore older people are working longer.

Why not reduce the retirement age and create jobs for the Youth of today.

As for National Service, I don’t think this would solve anything.  

The modern youth (not them all) has no self discipline or respect for others and even themselves.  They argue with the authorities so what would stop them doing the same on NS?

correct about National Service it would be impossible  to have such a Scheme with all the young immigrants in the country whoes going to make them join up. the only possibility would to make them do some sort of service (not arm them with a gun) as part of their terms of residencey in this country.
27/02/2012 20:26:29
Michael Potter
"Ros Comain."

Membership Level: Full
I agree Maurice,  but we are where we are, unlike when we left school there were plenty of jobs available.

I therefore think the schemes that are being implemented, to give young people some experience of the working enviroment can only be good.   I am aware that a few employers will take advantage, and use the system as cheap labour, but in the main most will act responsibly, and will in many cases take on the youngsters, who apply themselves well, during the training period.

I recall during the late 80’s a young man who I knew well, undertook a Youth training scheme at the age of17, through hard work and studying he became, at 37, one of the youngest CEO’s in his field, and to-day actively promotes, in conjunction with other companies, in a deprived area of London  these apprentiship schemes, with some success.
27/02/2012 22:59:19
thomas fleming
Add Forum Tag

Membership Level: Full
Michael I may seem a little doubtful of all people who have "made it",in life as achievers  and help out the youth of today to "get on in life"but  rumour has it that wonderful super-store American firm ASDA are taking work experience youngsters on for free (Dole paid only) and are reducing the hours the part-time staff are on. Coincidental or what????? Signed Mr Angry Merseyside.
27/02/2012 23:17:33
Colin Hall
Add Forum Tag

It’s not National Service, but New Zealand does run a Limited Service Volunteer scheme

The Limited Service Volunteer (LSV) scheme is a combined Ministry of Social Development and New Zealand Defence Force initiative hosted at Burnham Army Camp. The Ministry of Social Development provides the operating costs, while the NZDF delivers expertise and the training personnel. About 700 trainees attend the six week courses each year. To be eligible for admission to the programme a trainee should be aged between 18-25 and be registered with Work and Income. The mission of the LSV is “to increase numbers of young New Zealanders entering employment or further training”.  One Force met some of the trainees and staff of the first LSV intake of 2009.

The Trainees
A “shock to the system” is how many trainees describe their first week at the Limited Service Volunteer (LSV) Company. Five intakes of 150 young people arrive at Burnham Army camp each year for a six week course of military training which keeps them challenged all day, every day. Based on the classic Army model, each intake is divided into three groups or “Platoons”.

LSV Cooper
Trainees dress in army fatigues and are subject to military law while there. Waking at 5.30am they are kept busy until about 10pm with a variety of physical and mental challenges. Behind all the activities is a desire to improve self esteem and confidence, inspire motivation and self discipline, and encourage respect for oneself and others.

Trainees often arrive at the camp unmotivated and unfocused. They may have been in trouble with the law, have problems with drugs and alcohol, been in abusive relationships or simply have issues with focus and decision-making.

No two days are the same for trainees at the LSV Company, and the programme varies between classroom-based learning and outdoor physical activities such as a 50 km tramp, river crossings, rafting and marching. The LSV instructors work hard to maintain a positive environment and guest speakers come in to give advice on things like tenancy rights, dress and grooming, budgeting, employment, and drug abuse.

This scheme has been very successful I might add!
28/02/2012 03:47:18
<< Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next >>
>> Reply To This Post
Moderated By: Murray Whyte, Edward Bishop,Bob Draper
Users Here:
REGISTER
LOGIN
FIND FRIENDS
MILITARY NEWS
CAMPAIGNS
REUNIONS
GALLERY
FORUMS
CHAT ROOM
REMEMBRANCE
HONOUR ROLL
TESTIMONIALS
MEMORIES
COMPETITIONS
ADVERTISE
MEDIA CENTRE
WHO'S ONLINE?
AFFILIATES
FAQ/CONTACT US
ABOUT US
BLOG
BOOKMARK US
HOME
Recommend this page to a friend.
Your Name:
Friends Name:
Friends Email:

This site uses cookies. For information on this, please see our privacy policy

About Contact Us Advertise Military Records New Members Terms Military Genealogy Sitemap