Forces Reunited

HOME    
FORCES WAR RECORDS
FORCES DISCOUNTS
 FORCES SHOP 

Community
  >> Search >> Home

You are not logged in. Click here to login or click here to register.

Turn off these pesky adverts! - What is this?
Get a FREE "Proud to be a Forces veteran" Badge
Show how proud you are to be a Forces Veteran with your free badge.
Click Here Now!

Forces Reunited - In praise of my local hospital
www.forcesreunited.org.uk >> Topical News >> Topical News Items >> In praise of my local hospital
Forces Reunited Forums
>> Post New Topic
AuthorTopic
Colin Hall
Add Forum Tag

Membership Level: Basic
In praise of my local hospital

Aside from generally excellent health, I have atrial fibrillation which I’m told is quite common and no cause for real concern. I’m never aware of it except sometimes when you’re lying in bed and you can hear your own heart beat for some physical reason which escapes me.  On those occasions my heart sounds a bit like that Peter Sellars song "Oh Doctor I’m in trouble and my heart goes bump- diddy- bump -diddy bump bump bump".

Well, I woke up on Saturday morning, very short of breath, and my heart doing a fair imitation of a Ferrari. So Anne drives me to the Emergency Department of my local hospital just a few minutes away. It’s brand new, state of the art, with all the bells and whistles, I was inside on a trolley and whisked inside in a heartbeat! I was wired up for an ECG, and had a shunt inserted " because we’re going to need it" and even I could see that that my heart rate was far too high. They had meanwhile taken blood, and given me some unpronounceable substance to slow my heart down and some pain relief because my lungs were on fire.

Then a briefing from a wonderful lady Doctor, English, "call me George" [real name Georgina], that the ECG is fine and no different from the one taken last year, but the blood test revealed I had a chest infection which was the cause of all the kerfuffle.

Meanwhile, Anne and eldest daughter Kate, [a Registered Nurse in the very same hospital!] had turned up, but as a second blood test had been taken I suggested they may as well wait at home and I would call when ready. So they left, and I waited for results with the promise that if they were the same as the first test, I could go home with some antibiotics in hand.

Well, it was all good news, and I could leave and as no one had asked me how I was getting home, and as it was a lovely morning and very warm, I set off to walk home, all of fifteen minutes away. I was half-way when Kate pulled up alongside and I heard: "DAD! What the Hell do you think you’re doing?" So I put on my best Forrest Gump face and plead insanity, [daughters like to feel they’ve got you exactly where they want you you see!]

As for that Emergency crew. How professional can you get?

18/02/2012 18:27:46
                                                   >> Edit This Post >> Quote This Post
>> Reply To This Post
Moderated By: Murray Whyte,Edward Bishop
Users Here:
REGISTER
LOGIN
FIND FRIENDS
MILITARY NEWS
CAMPAIGNS
REUNIONS
GALLERY
FORUMS
CHAT ROOM
REMEMBRANCE
HONOUR ROLL
TESTIMONIALS
MEMORIES
COMPETITIONS
ADVERTISE
MEDIA CENTRE
WHO'S ONLINE?
AFFILIATES
FAQ/CONTACT US
ABOUT US
BLOG
BOOKMARK US
HOME
Recommend this page to a friend.
Your Name:
Friends Name:
Friends Email:

This site uses cookies. For information on this, please see our privacy policy

About Contact Us Advertise Military Records New Members Terms Military Genealogy Sitemap