Forces Reunited

HOME    
FORCES WAR RECORDS
FORCES DISCOUNTS
 FORCES SHOP 

Community
  >> Search >> Home

You are not logged in. Click here to login or click here to register.

Turn off these pesky adverts! - What is this?

Forces Reunited - Should religion be compulsorily taught in schools?
www.forcesreunited.org.uk >> General >> Hot Topic >> Should religion be compulsorily taught in schools?
Forces Reunited Forums
>> Post New Topic
[1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next >>
AuthorTopic
Mike Pass
"Stercus accidit"

Membership Level: Basic
Should religion be compulsorily taught in schools?

OK, so the title says it all. However, I will elaborate.
(Making a note along the way that, even though a political aspect could apply - party politics does not....so don’t even think about it or I will have the thread closed!).

I am an Atheist. This is well known here and there are at least two more to my knowledge. As Atheists, unlike many Christians, we have no problems, whatsoever with the other practising their beliefs. They are simply not for us.

My contention is this:
Christianity has long, long been forced upon children in school under the guise of ’Religious Education or, R.E. if you will. I see this as unacceptable as part of the child’s formative upbringing.
My feeling is that, children should not be subjected, mandatorily to a subject so contentious.
Apart from this, I recall my own classes in R.E. Our teachers must have been on drugs to possess the level of patience that they had! We spent all lesson picking out fallacies, lies and errors from the Bible and associated teachings. This does not mean that we felt ourselves to be the only ones ’in step’ of course. We learned later about religious tolerance and came to respect those who held the views and those who broadcast them (though not those who chose to evangelise, as we once saw in these hallowed halls).
For instance. Rev. Roger Perry is a man of God and also an ex-Boy Entrant. Had he only been the latter, I, as an ex Apprentice would likely have nothing to do with him......

I contend that Religious Education should be given in schools but only on a voluntary learning basis.
My reasons for raising this issue are various but the major concern is the spread of Islam througout this country. A religion which, if followed by true believers is of little danger to anyone but when used a weapon, as it mostly seems to be, these days, becomes one of the greatest threats to mankind in the past 2000years or so.
The teaching of Islam is becoming forcibly imposed by claim of discrimination on any school that is too weak to oppose it.

My premise, however, is that no form of R.E. should be mandatory in schools.

What is your view?  

Last edited by Mike Pass

Damnant quod non intellegunt.
24/11/2011 09:21:20
                                                   >> Edit This Post >> Quote This Post
dennis shrubshall
"Poet –"

Membership Level: Full
Michael  I have always rspected the views of all religions and non-religious people too. I believe school curiculums are based across the field to give children a broad insight to the world they will live in and to give them a deeper understanding of the outside world. However If the option of Religious Instruction were taken from that mode of teaching because some children feel they don’t benefit then it might well set a precedent in other subjects as well. Surely  schooling is a method  to test and open the mind to a wider spectrum and give the scholar a chance to make their choice when adult.  Only my opinion of course

"Images of Life in Rhyme" is available from me and all profits go to Havens Hospice Charity. Thebook is also available on-line from fast-print.net/bookshop and all major book retailers.
24/11/2011 09:41:46
Mike Pass
"Stercus accidit"

Hhmmm!!!!

I do not think there would be a knock on effect, Dennis. I have attended schools where there was no R.E. and they did not appear to suffer for it. Had there been no Maths, English or Science then there would be been serious shortfalls.
Domestic Science was an option at one of my schools. The girls all signed up (remember this was the 50s/60s!) Few boys did. In retrospect, I feel that this subject should have been mandatory!!

Many schools and colleges these days have a plethora of optionals. I feel that this is what R.E. is....an option, not a necessity. I think many would be surprised at the amount of pupils who would be more inclined to take it up, were it voluntary.  

Damnant quod non intellegunt.
24/11/2011 10:28:38
Murray Whyte
Add Forum Tag

Membership Level: Full
I think it is important for children to understand other cultures and religious beliefs.

However, this should not be a catalyst for the schools to force it upon the pupils.

It should be left up to the young people to decide.
24/11/2011 10:47:32
Carl Graffham
"Veni, vermini, vomui"

Drop it!

It seems to me that a number of traditions and beliefs have been "dropped" from schools using the mantra of "children should not be forced".

Among those dropped are Religious Instruction, the need for neat and tidy writing, the need to understand that it is possible for children (and adults) to lose at a sport or examination, morning assemblies, the singing of the national anthem, etc etc.

I cannot help wondering if lack of instruction in some or all of these areas has resulted in the bad behaviour, bad language, lack of respect and so on, that we see in today’s young, and in many instances, older people.

Religion being the thread topic here, then just think of the ten commandments in the Christian religions.  Surely it cannot be a bad thing to teach children those rules?

I know that some will say that those commandments were intended only to get the chosen people to the promised land, whole, intact and not weakened.  Notwithstanding that, the ten rules work in any civilized society, and in my not so humble opinion, would help children in particular to have at least some standards to use as guidance.

Maybe RI in the form of the old time Sunday Schools would not go amiss in today’s schooling, rather than forced, boring lectures given by adults who are not interested in the subject.

Carl

I fear the geek, even though he comes bearing gifs.
24/11/2011 11:09:20
[1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next >>
>> Reply To This Post
Moderated By: Murray Whyte, Edward Bishop,Bob Draper
Users Here: Edward Bishop
REGISTER
LOGIN
FIND FRIENDS
MILITARY NEWS
CAMPAIGNS
REUNIONS
GALLERY
FORUMS
CHAT ROOM
REMEMBRANCE
HONOUR ROLL
TESTIMONIALS
MEMORIES
COMPETITIONS
ADVERTISE
MEDIA CENTRE
WHO'S ONLINE?
AFFILIATES
FAQ/CONTACT US
ABOUT US
BLOG
BOOKMARK US
HOME
Recommend this page to a friend.
Your Name:
Friends Name:
Friends Email:

This site uses cookies. For information on this, please see our privacy policy

About Contact Us Advertise Military Records New Members Terms Military Genealogy Sitemap