Forces Reunited

HOME    
FORCES WAR RECORDS
FORCES DISCOUNTS
 FORCES SHOP 

Community
  >> Search >> Home

You are not logged in. Click here to login or click here to register.

Turn off these pesky adverts! - What is this?

Forces Reunited - JAPAN
www.forcesreunited.org.uk >> General >> Hot Topic >> JAPAN
Forces Reunited Forums
>> Post New Topic
[1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next >>
AuthorTopic
Brian Amos
"Sparky"

Membership Level: Full
JAPAN

An article in my paper yesterday asked the question is it time to forgive and forget the Japanese atrocities done in WW2
For myself i just doínt know but my neighbor was on the Burma railway i have known him for many years and has never said one word about it and gets very agitated when its brought up so i can only imagine what he went through  
24/03/2011 22:22:35
                                                   >> Edit This Post >> Quote This Post
Pamela Forbes
Add Forum Tag

Membership Level: Full

It is understandable that those men ( and women) who suffered at the hands of the Japanese during WW2 feel the way they do. My favourite uncle, a wonderful, kind and gentle man, fought in Burma and was taken prisoner. He never spoke about it but I have no doubt that the horrors he saw stayed with him all his life.

However, it would be very wrong to keep blaming the young Japanese of today for the things committed 60 years ago. They are no more to blame than the young Germans of today are responsible for the death camps of Adolph Hitler.

Apart from a few fanatics, and every nation has them, there is a very different mindset among the young of these countries than that which existed during WW2.

So, although we should never forget, it is time to stop bringing it up with the present generation of Japan (and Germany).

Give a man an inch.........and he thinks he’s a ruler.
24/03/2011 23:28:52
nigel osborn
Add Forum Tag

Membership Level: Basic
In 1943 my Mother & I had the misfortune to be captured by the Japanese near Lumding, India. She helped run the first aid hospital & I was about 6 years old. Due to no power, the Japanese troops made me carry water buckets from the creek. As I spilt most of it, a guard bayoneted me in the back. Due to a shortage of medicine which was only allowed to be used on their troops, my wound became very infected. Fortunately the Chindits turned up & my Mother & I, both of us had malaria as well, went back to Calcutta to recover. Recently the MOD offered money to civilian POW, so I applied. They needed a letter from our doctor who would now be about 130 years old, a letter from my Father who died in 1962, some paperwork from the Japanese colonel & an address of the camp. I pointed that as a very sick 6 year old, I hadn’t thought of getting statements from all these people, so MOD was sorry but glad I recovered!

I forgot about this period until my sons asked me about some old photos some 15 years ago. Suddenly all this came back to me & I found I could never trust the Japs again or turn my back on one. Strangely I now often have flash backs when asleep.

I can’t imagine how the troops could forgive the Japs as they really had a terrible time. Now of course we all get on well with them. Two of my sons had a lovely skiing holiday there & fortunately left 2 days before the earthquake.
25/03/2011 00:09:43
Colin Hall
Add Forum Tag

My first posting to Singapore was 1966, and I was at RAF Tengah, which is not far from the Kranji Military Cemetery.Whenever I felt like Iíd had a bad day, or just wanted a bit of quiet time, I used to drive up there and walk among those young fellas, and quite a few women, British and Australian nurses. I have a good library of books about Singapore and the Japaneses occupation, including one written by the Japanese but translated. †The Japanese changed the name of Singapore.

Iíve also been to the Kanchanaburi Cemetery, where most of the River Kwai and railway dead are buried. Thereís a helluva lot of dust gets in your eyes when you walk around that one, I tell you.

On my second tour in Singapore, 1974-76, I had a MQ at the former RN Naval Base, in a house built for senior officers before the war, but occupied by the Japanese also. One Of those houses was used for the final reunion scene in that excellent British TV series of a few years ago.

There have been a few generations of Japanese since WW2, and I donít believe the sins of the fathers are carried through. †I know a number of people who have had Japanese students stay with them, even my son when they had a spare room, and I have found them to be delightfully polite with manners a few of our own could well adopt. The wartime generation of Japanese were brought up in an entirely different world to today, so I think itís time we all moved on.

View Attachment View Attachment

Last edited by Colin Hall
25/03/2011 00:49:54
Colin Hall
Add Forum Tag

Our house in Kenya Crescent, near the former RN Naval Base. There were a number of these, and when I watched the episode of the TV show I recognised it immediately.

View Attachment View Attachment
25/03/2011 00:56:11
[1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next >>
>> Reply To This Post
Moderated By: Murray Whyte, Edward Bishop,Bob Draper
Users Here:
REGISTER
LOGIN
FIND FRIENDS
MILITARY NEWS
CAMPAIGNS
REUNIONS
GALLERY
FORUMS
CHAT ROOM
REMEMBRANCE
HONOUR ROLL
TESTIMONIALS
MEMORIES
COMPETITIONS
ADVERTISE
MEDIA CENTRE
WHO'S ONLINE?
AFFILIATES
FAQ/CONTACT US
ABOUT US
BLOG
BOOKMARK US
HOME
Recommend this page to a friend.
Your Name:
Friends Name:
Friends Email:

This site uses cookies. For information on this, please see our privacy policy

About Contact Us Advertise Military Records New Members Terms Military Genealogy Sitemap